Characters

Something that I’d like to attempt, in order to build upon last semester’s work is to create a small animated character to work as a set piece nothing big like a ship or a giant hand, just something small that can be added in 3D and possibly demonstrate matchmove techniques. So far the idea is pointing towards a little robot of some kind, as technology has advanced it makes sense to include something that is within our grasp here, just alter it to be more fantasy. With that in mind I have designed a number of small robots all being spherical in nature and decided to try making one as a way to practice.

Image of sketches here.

Robot test
https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/starwars_droids_1920x1080.jpg?quality=85

The idea itself came from two main characters from Star Wars; BB-8 and R2-D2 but specifically the circular shape they both have, however I feel that these are a little too ‘star wars-y’ as when I asked a few friends for feedback they mentioned how it looks like I am trying to create something from star wars… Sooo there is a little bit of an issue with the design, I thought maybe squash it down a little, only to now have a ‘cute’ robot. I think I may need to go back to the design part. However I have firmly decided that the character will fly/hover and not have arms or legs. This will remove the need to rig up each limb for animation, however I am wondering if adding another robot to the side might work as some kind of news robot or something.

Perhaps changing the robot’s shape could make it mess friendly somehow, or perhaps  Icould make one that suits a different purpose…