Ideas and inspiration

Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about my idea for this final project and figured that it is the best opportunity to improve upon and demonstrate some skills I have acquired over the past few years of study at uni and work on a demo reel with the intention of getting work or trying to go for further education somewhere VFX orientated such as Escape studios.

This past week I’ve looked into matte painting again, well looked into how it is applied and a few videos of people making some whilst talking about their methods so far.

Also this week we had Max Smith from Framestore visit and give a lecture about what he does within the VFX area of the media industry; Max is an environment artist meaning his job role is essentially creating spaces and to an extent world building, we had a brief chat about my project and essentially my project is similar to what would be done in his job, but would also be a great way to demonstrate skills via a demo reel.

It was suggested that I focus on three main areas, these being matchmove, matte painting and set extensions. Match Move is essentially matching movement to a camera, or creating a digital camera to follow the movement of a physical camera to sell the effects. The two latter areas to focus on are similar but work a little differently depending on the reasoning behind their usage; what I need to justify is the usage of 2D and 3D elements. If I’m building up an entire environment then it’s a 3D orientated area of work, if it is a background replacement then it makes sense for it to be 2D work. However things I need to be careful of are parallax and perspective.